As the first day of the highly anticipated G20 Summit drew to a close, global leaders and distinguished delegates convened at the official G20 gala dinner hosted by President Droupadi Murmu at Bharat Mandapam in Delhi. This grand event featured a remarkable showcase of India’s culinary prowess and cultural richness.
World leaders, including Heads of State, were treated to an extraordinary dining experience that not only delighted the palate but also celebrated India’s heritage. The evening was marked by the use of silver and gold-plated utensils, adding a touch of opulence to the proceedings and providing a glimpse into the nation’s diverse cultural tapestry. The menu, thoughtfully curated, commenced with a poignant recognition of how taste unites India’s myriad traditions, customs, and climates.
Emphasizing the nutritional and agricultural importance of millet, the menu artfully integrated these ancient grains into its offerings. Millets, known for their sustainable and nutritious qualities, played a prominent role in this culinary extravaganza.
Here’s a glimpse of the exquisite dishes that graced the tables at the G20 gala dinner:
- Paatram: Crispy foxtail millet leaf crisps crowned with a yogurt sphere and spiced chutney.
- Vanavarnam: A delightful jackfruit galette served alongside glazed forest mushrooms, a crisp of little millet, and Kerala red rice infused with the essence of curry leaves.
- Indian Bread: Mumbai Pao, an onion seed-flavored soft bun, and Bakarkhani, a cardamom-flavored sweet flatbread.
- Madhurima ‘Pot of Gold’: A sensory journey featuring cardamom-scented Barnyard millet pudding, a fig-peach compote, and the delightful crunch of Ambemohar rice crisps.
- Guests savored the aromatic flavors of Kashmiri Kahwa, the rich warmth of Filter Coffee, and the classic elegance of Darjeeling Tea.
- The evening concluded on a sweet note with paan-flavored chocolate leaves that left a lasting impression.
The G20 gala dinner not only showcased India’s culinary artistry but also underscored the country’s commitment to promoting sustainable and nutritious food choices. World leaders departed the event with not only a deeper appreciation for India’s gastronomic diversity but also a shared connection through the universal language of taste, further cementing the spirit of cooperation at the G20 Summit.